Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Current Reads

I realize that it has been a while since I have done any updating that involves books and me reading. I have been reading quite a bit and my habit of buying books before I finish them is becoming obvious as I realize I have to start packing up my books to take them to my new apartment (still so freaking excited to share that!) and I have several boxes with just books in them....yea, that's how awesome I am! Anyways, I wanted to share the new books that I've gotten and then what I'm currently working on, especially since I am also still getting library books.


From bottom to top I'll try and go through each book quickly!

Thunderstruck by Erik Larson.
Back in high school I read Mr. Larson's top seller Devil In The White City, which if you haven't read you need to go out and read now! It's a brilliantly written (in my opinion) story about a series of murders which occurred during the Chicago World's Fair. I have only heard good things about his other books, so when I found this for $5.99 at Half-Price Books, how was I supposed to say no?

The Muse Asylum by David Czuchlewski.
Whenever I walk through the isles of a bookstore, I find myself waiting for something to catch my, almost like the book itself is calling out to me. This is how I felt when I saw this book. I'm not sure what exactly drew my attention here, but I picked it up and here it is now in my to-read pile!

Life Drawing for Beginners by Roisin Meaney. 
I'm not going to lie, when I saw this book I panicked slightly at the idea of it being a novel about life drawing. These tend to end up very sexual, and for all I know, it still could turn into a bit of a lemon filled novel, however I had to allow myself one purchase of a novel that was not about murder (*cough*ErikLarson*cough*) and could have a bit of romance.

Blogging for Creatives by Robin Houghton.
I've been trying to keep this blog up (and I think I'm doing alright?) for over a year now, and I figured maybe it was about time that I do a little research and figure out what I'm doing right vs what I'm doing wrong. Maybe it could help with me trying to figure out what to do from now on!

My So-Called Freelance Life: How to Survive and Thrive as a Creative Professional for Hire by Michelle Goodman.
I'm still trying to figure out why I bought this book. Honestly! I'm not a creative professional for hire, I'm a personal trainer...I mean Matt is a creative professional in a sense, but I'm still not sure. Perhaps it is the vain hopes that I will end up becoming a creative professional and get to do creative things for a living like paint or write. We all have our dreams!

Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer.
I am a pescitarian (a vegetarian that still eats some seafood, milk, and eggs). I have absolutely no problem with anyone else eating whatever sort of red meat they want and I don't judge because, hey, that's their choice not mine. But when I looked at this book if caught my eye because it seems to be more about where our animal products come from and not so much trying to convert people to vegetarianism or what-not. So, I figured it could be a good read! Also, this is the guy who wrote Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, and I enjoyed the writing in that book too.

And lastly, The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan.
I know, I know, I'm a bit slow on the uptake here. This book has been out for how long and has been a movie for how long again? Hey! Better late than never! I received the entire box set of this series (5 books) for Christmas this past year from a friend and haven't gotten the chance to read them yet, so it is now near the top of my list to read.

I will say that these books that I'm sharing are not the only books I have that I have not yet read. If I were to go through all those books I would need several days! What other books do you guys have a suggestions for me to start reading? I'm open to just about anything, just not too big on horror....like Stephen King...he's bloody brilliant! But not really my style, ya know?

Love,
Sara :)

ps. Please forgive the quality of my photos, my camera from the iPhone is being stubborn and not working so I'm using a family member's iPod touch, but honestly, the lighting in my bedroom is super sucky. I'm working on getting that new camera but I'm still at such a loss for what to get! Help!!


No comments:

Post a Comment