Thursday, February 13, 2014

Vitamin D

And now for something kinda different. As you know, I'm a bit of a health nut (oh you didn't know....well I am sometimes! As exemplified by the brownies I'm going to make tomorrow (seriously! They're like healthy brownies!!)) and part of my job at the training studio is to write a weekly newsletter that goes out to anyone interested! Last month (sorry it took me a while to get it here) I did a little blerp about Vitamin D. Lately, we have been getting a bunch of questions at the studio concerning Vitamin D, hence the newsletter I wrote concerning the pros and cons of Vitamin D. Now, I did not take a side in this argument and I will not take one now because to each his/her own, but I will present to you information that you may find helpful or interesting concerning Vitamin D. Sorry if this isn't exactly your cup of tea, but I think it is interesting :)

The majority of our Vitamin D (80-90%) comes from exposing our skin to direct sunlight. There are two types of supplemental Vitamin D: Vitamin D2 and Vitamin D3. Vitamin D2 comes from fortifed plant-based food and supplements, while Vitamin D3 comes from fortified animal-based food (such as baked salmon and tuna and yogurt). Vitamin D assists with teeth, bone, and immune system health. It helps prevent bone diseases such as rickets (osteomalacia in adults) and can also help with heart and blood problems.
Vitamin D supplements are recommended for those who are not exposed to sufficient sunlight and therefore do not absorb enough into their body. For the most part, taking in extra Vitamin D in the form of supplements does not seem to harm an adult. There is a possible risk to develop Vitamin D toxicity (especially in infants), which simply means that your body will produce more urine due to excess calcium.
In either case, make sure to talk to your doctor before starting any supplements. Especially if you are pregnant or taking other medications.

Alright, that's my little blerp on Vitamin D and Vitamin D supplements. Pretty interesting, no? Well, I hope that you enjoyed my little spout of information because I think this kind of stuff is interesting and there will probably be more of it later!

Also, I'm thinking of getting a Zumba certification. Has anyone done it before? Is it fun? What does it take?

Thanks,
Love,
Sara :)

No comments:

Post a Comment