Monday, February 18, 2013

Musica Monday

     Hello everyone, this is Matt again for a musica Monday!  Today I am going to be talking a little bit about a band called Nightwish.  This is a band that started in 1996 and has become the most successful Finnish band in the world.  But before I get too deep into this band, here is one of their earlier songs for your listening pleasure:



So this song is called Nemo, and was sung with the original singer of the band, Tarja Turunen.  She sung for Nightwish for about 9 years and did what I would call a phenomenal job.  In October of 2005, at the end of a concert tour, the band decided to continue without Tarja and began the search for a new singer due to complications.  As one can imagine, this caused much unrest and unhappiness with the fans of Nightwish worldwide. 
 In May of 2007, the band found their new lead singer after listening to about 2000 vocalists.  Anette Olzon was chosen and the band started back into writing some more outstanding music:


    This song is called Amaranth, and really showcases the singing power of Anette.  Immediately after she became the singer for Nightwish, there was a lot, and I mean a LOT of comparing between the two singers on the good ol' interwebs.  For a while, there was almost no Nightwish video on youtube that didn't mention the singers in some way.  I feel that they are both fantastic singers in their own right, but I am willing to bet there are many people out there to argue with me on that to the death. 

     But the reason I am talking about this band is they have recently parted ways with Anette.  This breakup seemed a lot more mutual than the last one and happened on October 1st, 2012.  I was a bit saddened by this, as I really enjoyed the material the band has been putting out over the last few years.  The new singer is Floor Jansen, and I am excited to hear her on the next Nightwish CD.  I have only heard a few live songs from Floor where she sings, but its hard for me to listen to as I am used to the original singers.  And as one may suspect, the singer discussion is back up for argument on the interwebs.  YouTube and Nightwish enthusiasts are back into arguing about who is best, but I will end by saying I feel all of the singers have been very outstanding.  The band has always been great, and I can't wait to see what they come out with in the future! 

  Thanks for reading guys, and as always, have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment