Thursday, September 6, 2012

Meet Coretz!

Alright, so yesterday I mentioned that I might be getting a fish. Well, I did! His name is Cortez and he's a Beta fish. Now, I didn't know a lot about Beta fish, but I learned some stuff from the pet store. Beta fish are also known as Siamese fighting fish, because when they are put in a cage together they fight til the death (reason why I only have one!). One of my pod mates got one as well, it is healthy for them to once a week flare out at another beta (which could even just be themselves in a mirror) in order to keep them healthy (I think there's more to that but I'm not sure right now...working on that), so once a week we will be putting their cages near each other and having them flare out. I feed it once a day and clean its cage like once a week or so. Apparently if it isn't exactly once a week it's alright, the fish won't die, but around then would be nice. I also have to use iodized water, which we were told means we could also use the tap water here and then let it sit out for about 24 hours and then it would be good to put in the cage. I am super excited since this is the first fish I've had to take care of by myself since I was like in 5th or 6th grade! I hope that Cortez lives a long and healthy life for a Beta fish...not exactly positive what that might be but for now we will shoot for him making it past December :P
Here's some poorly taken pictures:





Yay for college pets!! :D
Have a great day guys!
Love,
Sara :)

No comments:

Post a Comment