Thursday, June 13, 2013

Poem

Escape

I never hear the word "escape"
Without a quicker blood,
A sudden expectation,
A flying attitude.

I never hear of prisons broad
By soldiers battered down,
But I tug childish at my bars,-
Only o fail again!

From: Selected Poems Unabridged. By Emily Dickinson
One of my most read poems from one of my favorite poets, this poem, especially the first half rings true for me. Thinking of the word "escape" what comes to mind? Other than Dory from Finding Nemo. Do you get excited? Do you get nervous? Thinking about leaving the known and heading into the unknown, we find ourselves expecting that things be amazing in this other place we've demo about. Like leaving our parents and heading into the real world. But do we ever actually escape? Are we forever held captive by our past and who we were? Just some thoughts for a Thursday afternoon :)

Love,
Sara :)

No comments:

Post a Comment