Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Mini Soapbox: Thanksgiving Forgotten?

Why is it that all the stores all over are already advertising for the holiday season? I mean, I am as much a fan if decorating for Christmas, doing holiday crafts and cards, and celebrating, but what happened to thanksgiving?! I'm getting the feeling that people are forgetting about Christmas. We live in a society so materialistic and single-minded that we can go from celebrating and being thankful for what we have, to everyone rushing to the stores on Black Friday in irder to get the best deals on more stuff. Sigh, in all this rush I think we forget the true meaning of the holiday season and thanksgiving. This is a time to celebrate with friends and family and realize what we have and what we can give to those who do not have what we do. While ideally this is something that should be practiced year round, at least there is one time of year when nearly everyone realizes that we can share what we have.
Where did this rant come from? Well, I was on Pinterest today and I read a quote about how materialistic our society is and realizing that for the past two hours I had been pinning things that have to do with decorating for thanksgiving and Christmas and planning parties. I came to the sudden realization that I do the same thing at this time of year, when it is before thanksgiving and Christmas and all I want to do is celebrate. I can't wait until I have somewhere I can do these things and I was thinking about what I would do when I suddenly realized what I was thinking about. Wow, reality check!
So, this rant us really just that, a rant. I guess I am a little annoyed today with all of the materialism going on around me. I will have to share later what I do to help this during the holiday season and throughout the rest of the year too. I will probably be back to being slightly more materialistic later on, but I guess this is just a bit of food for thought.
So, maybe this year I can buy a turkey not for myself (since I'm a vegetarian and don't eat turkey) but for someone who might not have one this year! I believe it was last year that California ran out if turkey's for thanksgiving? Sounds like there's lots of people who could use help or at least a little bit of assistance with some things. I'm not sure exactly what I'm talking about now but I guess I must have made my point somewhere in this languish rant! I hope you guys are having a great week and I'll be back with less....depressing?...stuff later :)

Love,
Sara :)

No comments:

Post a Comment