Thursday, January 3, 2013

Is Conditioner Hurting your Skin?

According to the dermatologist I see, it turns out that acne can actually in part be caused by conditioner. Allow me to explain. What conditioner does is coats your hair in a sort of oil-like lubricant that allows you to better comb through it. While this is nice for people with thick curly hair that tends to develop hard and unyielding knots (rats' nests, as my mother called them), it can actually plug the pores of your skin, causing breakouts. Adult acne is apparently quite common in people who had severe acne as a child and teenager. I am one such person. I have had acne since middle school and it has been a constant battle for me to get rid of it, even after using topical creams and drugs (tetracycline), I still have occasional breakouts. As much as I hate for this to sound like an advertisement, I guess it is going that way. This thing the dermatologist was slightly disappointed that it wasn't working and asked me about my showering habits. It had never occurred to me that what I was doing with my hair would affect my face, so I replied that I used shampoo and conditioner and body wash, then used the face wash that he had specified to clean off the shampoo and conditioner from my face. This is where he corrected me. He asked if I used the same towel to dry my face and my hair, I replied yes. He asked if I touched my hair and then touched my face at any point throughout the day, I replied yes. Then it dawned on me, he continued by explaining that even though I was washing my face correctly, whenever I touched my hair, which was coated in the conditioner to help with my knots and frizz, and then touched my face, I was unknowingly blocking some of the pores on my skin. He suggested that if i did need to use conditioner, because knots in hair do happen and conditioner does help, to only use a very minuscule amount and only in the area that would be needing it. He also suggested that I use less shampoo, since excess shampoo does not help your hair or face in general. He also recommended not to use the 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner since that would do the same thing (this also, I would imagine, removes the 3-in-1 shampoo, conditioner, and body wash).
I have taken in this advice and for the past week, since my appointment, I have not been using conditioner, except when absolutely necessary. My findings? *drumroll please* It actually works! Who would have thought that the professionals know what they are talking about! Just kidding, but I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that it actually worked. I would suggest this for anyone struggling with severe acne, but do talk to you dermatologist or family doctor before making any life changes based off of a blog. This seems to be working for me, so I wanted to share it with you in hopes that maybe it will also work for you!
Anyways, I have my first day of my interim class today (it's called Monsters: Myths & Movies) and I am super excited! I will update you all on it either tonight or tomorrow.
Happy Thursday! Yea....it's weird, my class is starting of Thursday, and ever better is that my prof will be in Boston for the weekend, leaving right after class today, so we don't have class tomorrow! Sweet right?! :P
Alright, later my dear friends :)
Love,
Sara :)

No comments:

Post a Comment