Monday, January 21, 2013

Musica Monday

For today's Musica Monday, I'm going to go back in time to 2002 (ok, it's not that far behind us, but i mean 10 years still!) to look at an old movie. The movie is Spirit: Stallion of the Cimerron, to be exact (oh, and SPOILER ALERT, for those of you who haven't seen the movie yet). In 2002, Bryan Adams and Hans Zimmer created the soundtrack for this moving animated film about a wild horse finding his way home in the old west. This soundtrack has become one of my favorite movie soundtracks and I believe that it is very well put together. I enjoy the songs sung by Bryan Adams as they fit the movie very well, they are also very pretty and beautiful and nice to listen to. I'm going to post two songs from this soundtrack today, one is called 'Here I Am' and the second is 'Get Off Of My Back'. These two are my favorite on the CD, and for the parts of the movie they are in, they are quite appropriate.

'Here I Am' is about the beginning of life and when you realize who you are and where you are supposed to be in the world. It is played both at the beginning and at the end of the movie, when the horse finds his way home. It is a song about finding yourself and accepting who you are and showing the world...quiet like.



'Get Off Of My Back' in the context of the movie means quite literally get off of my back. In this scene, the stallion is literally trying to get people to stop riding him. But in a more philosophical way, I suppose it could be meaning more towards letting a person do what they want, don't try and change anyone or anything about them because they are who they are for a reason.


I would also highly recommend watching this movie if you haven't when you get the chance! I did put up the video that included the part of the movie in hopes of catching your attention to watching the movie itself! It's really quite good! :)

I guess I am in a more philosophical mood right now, I mean I have to read some of Dracula later. Plus I did write a paper this weekend about the philosophical connections between Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and several modern day renditions in television and comics. There are surprisingly quite a few actually! I'll talk a bit about that tomorrow I think...maybe, I'm not sure yet. If you haven't figured it out, except for Musica Mondays, I kinda post when I have something to post about and when I get the chance! I'm not very good at keeping up with this whole daily posting thing, but as long as I get a few in every week, that's about my goal. Alright, sorry about the longer post today, but I kinda was in a rambling mood. Plus it's like -9 degrees outside right now, not counting windchill and the fact that I'm up on a hill, so it's like -30-ish? I'm not sure, but whatever it is, it's cold!
Happy Monday!
Love,
Sara :)

No comments:

Post a Comment